RECIPE: Hazelnut and Lemon Green Beans
Take a break from the traditional starchy sides by adding a simple and refreshing vegan-friendly option.
- 1/2 lb. green beans (ends trimmed)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp. coarsely chopped hazelnuts (toasted)
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 tsp. lemon juice, preferably fresh-squeezed
- 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Fill a large pot one-third full of water. Cover and set over high heat.
- When the water comes to a full boil, add the beans and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until just tender. Drain in a colander.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Add the nuts, peel, juice, and oil.
- Season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to mix. Serve immediately.
COOKING TIP: Toasting Hazelnuts
To toast the hazelnuts, place them in a dry, nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook for 1 to 3 minutes, shaking every 15 seconds or so, until toasted. Watch them closely, as they brown quickly.
Fat: 3 g
Protein: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 14 mg
Source: American Heart Association