Hearty Mushroom Barley Soup
A tasty soup that is rich and comforting without compounding the effects of high-calorie tasty treats during the holiday season. Prepare this soup with vegetable broth if you desire it to be vegetarian or vegan.Download the Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe Card
1 Tbsp. oil
1 onion (chopped)
2 celery stalk (sliced thin)
2 carrot (peeled and sliced thin)
2 cups mushroom (sliced)
1/2 cup barley, quick cooking
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. thyme (ground)
3 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. parsley (chopped fresh)
- Heat oil in large soup pot over high heat. Sauté onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the parsley and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle parsley on top of soup and serve hot.
Source: USDA Mixing Bowl