RECIPE: White Chicken Chili with Salsa Verde
The American Lung Association notes that most people are surprised to learn that the food they eat may affect their breathing. Our bodies use food as fuel for all of its activities, and the right mix of nutrients can help us breathe easier.
- 1 ½ cups dried navy beans
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¾ tsp. dried oregano
- ¾ tsp. medium ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp. corn oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa verde, divided
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 (5.3 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 1 tsp. sliced jalapenos and chopped cilantro
- Soak beans in four cups of water overnight.
- Combine flour, garlic, cumin, oregano and black pepper in a large resealable plastic bag; set aside. Toss chicken with flour mixture to completely coat.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat; add chicken to skillet. Saute chicken until lightly browned about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove any floating beans; drain water and place beans in slow cooker. Add vegetables, chicken broth, 1/2 cup salsa verde and water to the slow cooker.
- Place chicken in slow cooker; stir to combine ingredients.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours or LOW for 7 to 9 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in remaining salsa verde, evaporated milk, cheese and cilantro. Serve with sliced jalapenos and additional cilantro, if desired.
Fat: 8.3 g
Protein: 25.3 g
Carbohydrates: 26.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 8.4 g
Sodium: 223.3 mg
Original recipe by Allrecipes.comDownload the Recipe PDF