RECIPE: Fruit & Seed Bars
Daily brushing with fluoride toothpaste and flossing are essential to a healthy smile, but did you know nutrition has an effect on your dental health, too?
According to the University of Rochester Medical Center, eating a variety of nutrient-rich foods from all the food groups promotes healthy teeth and gums. A balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, dairy, tea and fluoride provides essential nutrients for optimum oral health.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (also known as pepitas)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp. flax seeds
- 1 cup dried fruit (blueberries, raisins, currants, cranberries and/or cherries)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sunflower butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a food processor, pulse the first 6 ingredients until finely chopped (it’s ok if there are few coarsely chopped pieces).
- Add the honey and sunflower and pulse until starting to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 9 inch pan, greased then lined with parchment and press down into the pan until completely even.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the bars completely cool before cutting with a serrated knife into bars.
See the original recipe on the Epicurious website.Download the Recipe PDF