RECIPE: Mac and Cheese Cups
Calcium is one of the most important nutrients for healthy teeth, and dairy is one of the best natural sources. Toddlers need about 700 mg of calcium a day or about 2-3 servings. This amount increases as they grow. There are sure to be no protests over these mac and cheese cups. Add vegetables like broccoli, spinach or beans to mix it up and up the calcium.
3 cups skim milk
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 ounces, or 1 1/2 cups, reduced-fat, mild, shredded cheddar cheese
¾ cup light shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
paper muffin cups/liners
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In medium saucepan, slowly add 1 cup of milk to flour, stirring constantly until all lumps have dissolved.
- Add the remaining milk, stirring thoroughly. Place on stove and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens.
- Add 1 cup of the cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese; stir until blended.
- Add macaroni, stirring gently to coat well.
- Line muffin tin with paper muffin cups and place one scoop of mac and cheese mixture into each muffin cup. Top with reserved ½ cup shredded cheddar.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.