RECIPE: Pumpkin Spice Latte Pick-me-up
A pumpkin spice latte is the perfect comforting pick-me-up for busy caregivers and their recipients. Pumpkin pie spice often contains spices like cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, all of which have pronounced health benefits. Cinnamon and nutmeg combat inflammation, and ginger and nutmeg have shown benefits for those with Alzheimer’s disease. The pumpkin puree is high in vitamin A and other important nutrients. Making your lattes at home with this Cooking Light recipe help you control the fat and calories.
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups strongly brewed coffee
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- Over low heat in a medium saucepan, add water, sugars, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Whisk and then let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Brew coffee. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk milk vigorously until warm and foamy.
- For each individual latte, mix 1 cup of coffee with 4 tablespoons of syrup until syrup is dissolved. Top with 1/2 cup of whisked milk.
If making only one latte, brew 1 cup of coffee and use 1/2 cup of milk, and keep remaining syrup in a sealed container.