RECIPE: Tomato-Watermelon Salad with Turmeric Oil
Red, juicy and sweet, tomato and watermelon both contain lycopene, which may help protect the skin against UV damage. In this simple recipe, amplify flavors of the dressing by “blooming” the spices (heating in oil). Make sure your fruit is room temperature: if they’re too cold, they’ll cause the spiced oil to solidify.
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp. coarsely crushed peppercorns
- 1 tsp. coarsely crushed coriander seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ large seedless watermelon (about 3 lb.), preferably yellow, rind removed, flesh cut into ½” pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into ½” pieces
- 8 oz. mild French feta, cut into ½” pieces
- Flaky sea salt
- Heat coconut oil, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and turmeric in a small saucepan over medium until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Let turmeric oil cool slightly.
- Arrange watermelon, tomato, and feta on a platter. Drizzle turmeric oil evenly over and sprinkle with salt.
Original recipe by Bon AppétitDownload the Recipe PDF