Lettuce Wraps with Grilled Shrimp, Avocados, and Mango
Piled onto a platter, this impressive dish will wow your family. For a weeknight meal, serve with the avocado and mango as is, but with extra time on the weekend, grill them instead. Grilling enhances the sweetness of the mango and makes the avocado even silkier, along with giving them both a bit of char.Download the Recipe Card
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/4 cup lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
FOR THE LETTUCE WRAPS
- 25 to 30 (9- to 10-inch) skewers
- 1 1/2 lb medium shrimp (peeled and deveined, tail removed)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 2 jalapeños (thinly sliced)
- 2 small avocados (quartered, pitted)
- 2 mango (peeled)
DIRECTIONS FOR THE SAUCE
- In a small bowl, add lime juice, honey, water, soy sauce, and fish sauce.
- Stir to combine. Let flavors mingle while preparing the rest of the meal.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE WRAPS
- If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
- Prepare the shrimp by threading 3 shrimp per skewer. Place onto a baking sheet and use a basting brush to lightly coat both sides of shrimp with oil.
- Remove leaves from the Bibb lettuce and place onto a large platter, along with chopped scallions, chopped radishes, mint, sliced jalapenos, and avocado. Peel the mango and cut 4 segments around the pit. Slice mango into chunks and add to the platter.
- Grill shrimp until pink and fully cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and transfer to a plate.
- Place the shrimp, the Bibb lettuce platter, and the Vietnamese sauce on the table. Let everyone serve themselves by making their own lettuce cups filled with shrimp, their choice of toppings, and a drizzle of sauce.
Fat: 2.4 g
Protein: 8 g
Carbohydrates: 39.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 11 g
Sodium: 497 mg
Source: American Heart Association