70+ Triple-Threat Soups for Health, Budget & Comfort
COCONUT TURMERIC CHICKEN SOUP
Nothing warms the soul more than a hearty winter soup! Elevate your game with this mélange of healthy fats, lean proteins and pain-reducing spices, to start….
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 TBSP grated fresh ginger
- 2 TBSP olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 TBSP turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1/2 lb. carrots (about 3)
- 1/2 bunch celery (about 4 stalks)
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 3/4 lb.)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 13 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
Optional for Serving:
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- Dice the onion, mince the garlic, and grate the ginger. Add to a large soup pot with the olive oil, and sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the carrots, and chop the celery.
- Once the onions are soft, add the turmeric, cumin and red pepper flakes. Sauté for about 1 minute more to toast the spices. Add the carrots and celery and sauté for a few minutes more, or just until they begin to soften.
- Add the chicken breast to the pot along with the chicken broth. Place a lid on the pot, turn the heat up to medium-high, and bring the broth to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low, and let the broth simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breast and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded meat to the soup and add the coconut milk.
- Stir to combine and heat through over medium-low heat. Taste the soup and add salt to taste.
- To serve, ladle about 1-1/3 cups soup into a bowl and top with (optional) 1/2 cup cooked rice, a few fresh cilantro leaves, and a wedge of lime.
Total Fat: 8 g
Protein: 16 g
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 908 mg